We have a member who is looking to purchase a CNC machine but would like advice from people with experience in this area for the best brand / machine to buy. The general criterial is below.
- It can accept up to 1300mm x 1300mm sheet size.
- Will mainly be used to CNC plastic (Petg, Apet, Acrylic) but would be happy if it could do wood and other materials too.
- Sheet thickness range from 1mm – 6mm.
Any help would be much appreciated.
10-05-2018, 01:53 PMBen MeadowsAdvice on best CNC Machine to purchase
10-05-2018, 02:39 PMAmy Brunsdon
07-02-2019, 10:33 AMBrillixa Herdhiana
I am not sure which CNC Machine is the best but here are some advise that I can give you on CNC Machine in general:
1) 3-axis CNC milling machines manufacture parts with relatively simple geometries with excellent accuracy and at a low cost.
2) CNC lathes have the lowest cost per unit, but are only suitable for part geometries with rotational symmetry.
3) Indexed 5-axis CNC milling machines manufacture parts with features that do not align with one of the main axes quickly and with very high accuracy.
4) Continuous 5-axis CNC milling machines manufacture parts with highly complex, 'organic' geometries and smooth contours, but at a high cost.
5) Mill-turning CNC centers combine the benefits of CNC turning and CNC milling into a single system to manufacture complex parts at a lower cost than other 5-axis CNC systems.
In the meanwhile if you're looking to CNC machined parts directly, we can help you here https://www.3dhubs.com/cnc-machining/
I hope it helped
29-04-2019, 10:22 AMPhilippa Glover
Hi, CNC Robotics Ltd has recently joined MAKE UK. We specialise in Robotic Machining and supply a range of industrial CNC Robotics suitable for many applications. If you would be interested in knowing more please dont hesitate to get in touch and we can talk you through some of our client projects. Philippa
29-04-2019, 10:46 AMAmy Brunsdon
07-05-2019, 04:33 PMAndrew Oldale
You dont need to spend much, it depends on your power supply, if 3 phase I would buy an old Wadkin or Rye machine
I have 2 Rye and 1 wadkin I recently purchased a 2440mm x 1220mm Rye in working order for £320 off e-bay but used it for spares.
feel free to contact me if needed.
08-05-2019, 08:22 AMDaniel Kirmatzis
Hi @Andrew Oldale
Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community. Ben has now left the company so I wanted to say that this advice will be useful for others who have similar requirements.