• Tool making for plastic injection models and tiles

Hi all,

I'm just getting some advice for a plastic injected models I would like to create.
    FYI - I am not an expert and far from it. Just getting advice at this stage.

I have multiple models that are tile like models with a dimension of approximately 304mm x 304mm x 100*mm(max) (* range of 10mm - 100mm - this is variable, as the height of the model has contours and a sand like texture with rock formations and terrain sitting on the tiles). I'm also happy for the models to be hollow rather than a huge block of plastic. eg. 5mm thickness all the way around.

My questions are;

How much would it cost to develop a tool(s) this big? (Estimated cost)

Is it possible to repurpose old tools from other companies (and does this reduce the cost of tooling?)?

What estimated size/power would the injection machine have to be too inject all the plastic around the tool?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • Hi all,

I'm just getting some advice for a plastic injected models I would like to create.
    FYI - I am not an expert and far from it. Just getting advice at this stage.

I have multiple models that are tile like models with a dimension of approximately 304mm x 304mm x 100*mm(max) (* range of 10mm - 100mm - this is variable, as the height of the model has contours and a sand like texture with rock formations and terrain sitting on the tiles). I'm also happy for the models to be hollow rather than a huge block of plastic. eg. 5mm thickness all the way around.

My questions are;

How much would it cost to develop a tool(s) this big? (Estimated cost)

Is it possible to repurpose old tools from other companies (and does this reduce the cost of tooling?)?

What estimated size/power would the injection machine have to be too inject all the plastic around the tool?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

• Hi @Rob Lainchbury

Thank you for posting your question. We will highlight this question in our next newsletter and in the meantime I encourage other community members to offer their advice.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here
  • Hi @Rob Lainchbury

Thank you for posting your question. We will highlight this question in our next newsletter and in the meantime I encourage other community members to offer their advice.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here

• Hi @Rob Lainchbury,
    Sounds like an interesting project - my son enjoys making models with figures, landscapes and buildings.To help me find some answers to your questions can I ask you to clarify a couple of points please.
    How many of each of these "tiles" are you looking to produce?
    What sort of surface detail do you need to reproduce?
    Do you know what material you are looking to use?
    Jim Davison
    Region Director, South
    Make UK
  • Hi @Rob Lainchbury,
    Sounds like an interesting project - my son enjoys making models with figures, landscapes and buildings.To help me find some answers to your questions can I ask you to clarify a couple of points please.
    How many of each of these "tiles" are you looking to produce?
    What sort of surface detail do you need to reproduce?
    Do you know what material you are looking to use?
    Jim Davison
    Region Director, South
    Make UK

• Hi @Jim Davison

Thank you for getting back to me.

Currently I have plans for a range of 20+. However, realistically I'll have an initial range of 10 to start with and looking to mass-produce this range.

The surface texture will mostly be fine sand with rocky and stone like textures for cliff edges and out crop areas etc...

The material I would like to create these tiles would be plastic. I think the way forward would be to plastic inject after looking at other methods. Although I'm not sure what the best type of plastic to use is, or what the range is.

Hope this answers your questions.
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 15-02-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Jim Davison

Thank you for getting back to me.

Currently I have plans for a range of 20+. However, realistically I'll have an initial range of 10 to start with and looking to mass-produce this range.

The surface texture will mostly be fine sand with rocky and stone like textures for cliff edges and out crop areas etc...

The material I would like to create these tiles would be plastic. I think the way forward would be to plastic inject after looking at other methods. Although I'm not sure what the best type of plastic to use is, or what the range is.

Hope this answers your questions.

• Hi@Rob Lainchbury,
    Many thanks for the additional information that will help me give you some more clearer feedback. I am out of the office for a week but will follow up again soon.
    Best Regards
    Jim.
    Jim Davison
    Region Director, South
    Make UK
  • Hi@Rob Lainchbury,
    Many thanks for the additional information that will help me give you some more clearer feedback. I am out of the office for a week but will follow up again soon.
    Best Regards
    Jim.
    Jim Davison
    Region Director, South
    Make UK

• Hi @Rob Lainchbury,

our maximum sizes for Injection moulded parts are: 770 x 480 x 202 (101mm either side of the parting line).

Our design guidelines might also be useful: https://www.protolabs.co.uk/services...gn-guidelines/

If you have the CAD you could also try uploading them via our online portal as we provide design for manufacturing advice with our quote for free.

many thanks,

Kimmy
  • Hi @Rob Lainchbury,

our maximum sizes for Injection moulded parts are: 770 x 480 x 202 (101mm either side of the parting line).

Our design guidelines might also be useful: https://www.protolabs.co.uk/services...gn-guidelines/

If you have the CAD you could also try uploading them via our online portal as we provide design for manufacturing advice with our quote for free.

many thanks,

Kimmy

• Hi @Rob Lainchbury,
    Here are some general points for you regarding the types of plastic moulding you should concider:
    Injection moulding is suited to relatively high production volumes this is because parts can be produced quickly and repeatably but the cost of tooling is high (typically tens of thousands of pounds)
    Alternative options may be vacuum forming or roto moulding have you looked into either of these methods?
    Hi @Stuart Cochrane,
    Would you have any thoughts and advice that could help Rob with his project?
    Best regards
    Jim.
    Jim Davison
    Region Director, South
    Make UK
  • Hi @Rob Lainchbury,
    Here are some general points for you regarding the types of plastic moulding you should concider:
    Injection moulding is suited to relatively high production volumes this is because parts can be produced quickly and repeatably but the cost of tooling is high (typically tens of thousands of pounds)
    Alternative options may be vacuum forming or roto moulding have you looked into either of these methods?
    Hi @Stuart Cochrane,
    Would you have any thoughts and advice that could help Rob with his project?
    Best regards
    Jim.
    Jim Davison
    Region Director, South
    Make UK

• Thanks for your help @Jim Davison

Hope fully I would be looking to make between (potentially) 1000 - 10000 for each mould.

I have looked into both of these options (roto and vacuum). I'm currently using rotoscoped moulding as a way to prototype, but Vacuum doesn't seem quite right for what I'm trying to achieve.

The down side of injection moulding, which I think may be the best suited option for what I want to do, is cost! as you quick rightly pointed out!
    I think the best way to move forward is to conduct more research into how much tooling for injection moulding would be.
    I'll try and follow up with @Kimmy Forshaw from Proto labs about cost.

Thanks for all your help so far.
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 18-03-2019 at 02:52 PM.
  • Thanks for your help @Jim Davison

Hope fully I would be looking to make between (potentially) 1000 - 10000 for each mould.

I have looked into both of these options (roto and vacuum). I'm currently using rotoscoped moulding as a way to prototype, but Vacuum doesn't seem quite right for what I'm trying to achieve.

The down side of injection moulding, which I think may be the best suited option for what I want to do, is cost! as you quick rightly pointed out!
    I think the best way to move forward is to conduct more research into how much tooling for injection moulding would be.
    I'll try and follow up with @Kimmy Forshaw from Proto labs about cost.

Thanks for all your help so far.