• Amazon to create 1,000 UK apprenticeships in ML and robotics

Hello Everyone,

I spotted this good news story and wanted to share with you. Amazon has revealed plans to create more than 1,000 apprenticeships in the UK over the next two years, many of which will be based in the company's machine learning (ML) and software development units including robotics. More details on these new apprenticeships can be seen here

The most exciting thing about these apprenticeships is that one-fifth of these new apprenticeships will be offered directly to its existing workforce. The idea being that these apprenticeships enable their staff to build their careers from the shop floor or depot to working with new technology such as robotics."We want to give people opportunities to succeed in the digital age, regardless of their background," said Doug Gurr, UK country manager at Amazon.

So this got me thinking do you currently offer your apprenticeships to all your existing staff or just to recent school leavers or graduates?

Even since I left university over 5 years ago, the world of work and especially the world of manufacturing has undergone a huge amount of change. Personally, I think it would be brilliant to be offered the chance to learn new skills by my existing employer.

So I wanted to start a discussion around the topic? Are apprenticeships just for the young or do they offer benefits at any age?

Share your thoughts below :)

Amy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apprentice_1_1400x425.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	345.6 KB 
ID:	1120
  • Hello Everyone,

I spotted this good news story and wanted to share with you. Amazon has revealed plans to create more than 1,000 apprenticeships in the UK over the next two years, many of which will be based in the company's machine learning (ML) and software development units including robotics. More details on these new apprenticeships can be seen here

The most exciting thing about these apprenticeships is that one-fifth of these new apprenticeships will be offered directly to its existing workforce. The idea being that these apprenticeships enable their staff to build their careers from the shop floor or depot to working with new technology such as robotics."We want to give people opportunities to succeed in the digital age, regardless of their background," said Doug Gurr, UK country manager at Amazon.

So this got me thinking do you currently offer your apprenticeships to all your existing staff or just to recent school leavers or graduates?

Even since I left university over 5 years ago, the world of work and especially the world of manufacturing has undergone a huge amount of change. Personally, I think it would be brilliant to be offered the chance to learn new skills by my existing employer.

So I wanted to start a discussion around the topic? Are apprenticeships just for the young or do they offer benefits at any age?

Share your thoughts below :)

Amy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apprentice_1_1400x425.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	345.6 KB 
ID:	1120