• Automation & digital advances to create better jobs in manufacturing

A third of UK manufacturers expect some low skilled jobs to be lost over the next five years as a result of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and digital technologies. But over half of companies (54%) say they will up-skill these lower-skilled workers to take the jobs that this innovation creates.

More than two-thirds of manufacturers plan to spend some of their training budgets over the next 12 months on technical engineering skills. Some of this will go on providing apprenticeships, which almost eight in ten employers currently offer, but the rest will be aimed at those existing employees who need to continuously up-skill for manufacturers to take the best advantage of 4IR and the income boost it can bring.

Read more here: Better jobs in manufacturing

• A third of UK manufacturers expect some low skilled jobs to be lost over the next five years as a result of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and digital technologies. But over half of companies (54%) say they will up-skill these lower-skilled workers to take the jobs that this innovation creates.

More than two-thirds of manufacturers plan to spend some of their training budgets over the next 12 months on technical engineering skills. Some of this will go on providing apprenticeships, which almost eight in ten employers currently offer, but the rest will be aimed at those existing employees who need to continuously up-skill for manufacturers to take the best advantage of 4IR and the income boost it can bring.

Read more here: Better jobs in manufacturing

• @Matt Chilton,

I would add that there needs to be some good, well publicised examples of how businesses have used automation and AI across the business. To borrow from the Future of British Manufacturing Initiative - show, not tell.

Charles
    Charles Clayton
    Co-Founder SoftBot Ltd
    https://www.softbot.co/
  • @Matt Chilton,

I would add that there needs to be some good, well publicised examples of how businesses have used automation and AI across the business. To borrow from the Future of British Manufacturing Initiative - show, not tell.

Charles
    Charles Clayton
    Co-Founder SoftBot Ltd
    https://www.softbot.co/
  • Hi @Charles Clayton

I fully agree regarding the real life examples. There is no one size fits all for manufacturers in this new industrial revolution - it's very much a case by case issue i.e. 'what works for me' is the mantra. We aim to help manufacturers navigate this journey and the more that people can share of real life examples the better.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here
  • Hi @Charles Clayton

I fully agree regarding the real life examples. There is no one size fits all for manufacturers in this new industrial revolution - it's very much a case by case issue i.e. 'what works for me' is the mantra. We aim to help manufacturers navigate this journey and the more that people can share of real life examples the better.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here