• HSE Notice: Weld Fume Reduction

Hi All,

After February's HSE notice about the change in enforcement around Welding fumes (particularly metal welding) we completed some monitoring around our own welding activities.

We have a series of small spot welders on site for used to join some of our metal discs together. There is no surface coatings on the metal and this is a short contact (less than a second) and is some where between 4-10 weld spots per disc.

The monitoring came back with minimal heavy metal content from lab results, however as it was observed that slight fumes where released from the weld the report has recommending introducing engineering controls.

I think the only option to further reduce would be LEVS but this would be an expensive improvement due to the amount of spot welders we have and I was wondering if it’s reasonably practicable to do so when the report states the metal exposure concentrations are minimal? Is there anyone with more detailed knowledge around this? Spot welding in itself is already much lower risk than other forms but I don't want to leave the business open.

Thanks in advance
  • Hi All,

After February's HSE notice about the change in enforcement around Welding fumes (particularly metal welding) we completed some monitoring around our own welding activities.

We have a series of small spot welders on site for used to join some of our metal discs together. There is no surface coatings on the metal and this is a short contact (less than a second) and is some where between 4-10 weld spots per disc.

The monitoring came back with minimal heavy metal content from lab results, however as it was observed that slight fumes where released from the weld the report has recommending introducing engineering controls.

I think the only option to further reduce would be LEVS but this would be an expensive improvement due to the amount of spot welders we have and I was wondering if it’s reasonably practicable to do so when the report states the metal exposure concentrations are minimal? Is there anyone with more detailed knowledge around this? Spot welding in itself is already much lower risk than other forms but I don't want to leave the business open.

Thanks in advance

• Hi @Howard Stafstrom

Thank you for posting your question on the Community. I have made our wider teams aware of it and hope that you will get an answer to your question soon.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here
  • Hi @Howard Stafstrom

Thank you for posting your question on the Community. I have made our wider teams aware of it and hope that you will get an answer to your question soon.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community

• Hi @Howard Stafstrom,

I understand my colleague Peter made contact. I hope you found a solution to this. Should you have any more questions please do post on the Community.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
  • Hi @Howard Stafstrom,

I understand my colleague Peter made contact. I hope you found a solution to this. Should you have any more questions please do post on the Community.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community