Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

• Benefits and Terms & Condition Bench Marking

Hi,

I'm currently looking at our offering to the workforce (hourly paid, factory operatives), I think we have a reasonable package and pay well, however I'm interested to know what other manufacturers in both ours and different sectors offer by way of benefits and standard T&C's, Also do you operate any special shift patterns or have found one shift pattern to offer an advantage over others? If possible can anybody send me anonymised benefit packages, T&C's, shift patterns etc. it would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Simon.
  • Hi,

I'm currently looking at our offering to the workforce (hourly paid, factory operatives), I think we have a reasonable package and pay well, however I'm interested to know what other manufacturers in both ours and different sectors offer by way of benefits and standard T&C's, Also do you operate any special shift patterns or have found one shift pattern to offer an advantage over others? If possible can anybody send me anonymised benefit packages, T&C's, shift patterns etc. it would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Simon.

• Hi @Simon Pollard

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting your question. I encourage other members to offer their advice.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here
  • Hi @Simon Pollard

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting your question. I encourage other members to offer their advice.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here

• Hi Simon we operate an annualised hours shift pattern where colleagues work 4 on 6 off. Some work 2 days and 2 nights x 12 hours, others work 4 x 12 hour days. Within their 6 off they need to be contactable to cover short term sickness and attend a training day once a quarter, however these are called reserve hours.
    You can find these shift patterns on the HSE website as there is a fatigue index. Ours is proved to be the less fatigued shift pattern.
    Happy to have a private message though to go through more.
    Thanks
    Viv
  • Hi Simon we operate an annualised hours shift pattern where colleagues work 4 on 6 off. Some work 2 days and 2 nights x 12 hours, others work 4 x 12 hour days. Within their 6 off they need to be contactable to cover short term sickness and attend a training day once a quarter, however these are called reserve hours.
    You can find these shift patterns on the HSE website as there is a fatigue index. Ours is proved to be the less fatigued shift pattern.
    Happy to have a private message though to go through more.
    Thanks
    Viv

• Hi @Viv Dennis ,

Thanks for the reply.

Si.

Sent from my iPad using Make UK Community
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 19-07-2019 at 03:37 PM.
  • Hi @Viv Dennis ,

Thanks for the reply.

Si.

• Hi @Simon Pollard

I'm from Caboodle and we are Make UK's endorsed provider for employee benefits. We've worked with members since 2009 so we have a lot of experience in working with manufacturing and engineering companies and those with a significant blue collar workforce.

In terms of benefits, we find initiatives such as Cycle to Work and Technology work really well- they allow employees on the modest end of the salary scale to budget for the cost over a 12 month period, and both (but particularly Cycle to Work) are perfect for male dominated organisations (which I guess you may be).

Discounts are always very popular too, helping employees' money go a little further.

Key really to any kinds of benefits package that you may consider putting in place is accessibility as this can be more challenging with blue collar employees but achievable with the right comms strategy and benefits platform.

I hope this is helpful, do feel free to contact me if you'd like any further info or to discuss further.

Kindest
    Emma Jewell
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 19-07-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Simon Pollard

I'm from Caboodle and we are Make UK's endorsed provider for employee benefits. We've worked with members since 2009 so we have a lot of experience in working with manufacturing and engineering companies and those with a significant blue collar workforce.

In terms of benefits, we find initiatives such as Cycle to Work and Technology work really well- they allow employees on the modest end of the salary scale to budget for the cost over a 12 month period, and both (but particularly Cycle to Work) are perfect for male dominated organisations (which I guess you may be).

Discounts are always very popular too, helping employees' money go a little further.

Key really to any kinds of benefits package that you may consider putting in place is accessibility as this can be more challenging with blue collar employees but achievable with the right comms strategy and benefits platform.

I hope this is helpful, do feel free to contact me if you'd like any further info or to discuss further.

Kindest
    Emma Jewell

• Hi @Simon Pollard - we do alternate shifts and we used to do a shift premium of 25% for double days and 50% for nights but we amalgamated the percentage for double days into the hourly amount so now only night shift get 20% uplift. The two day shifts rotate and nights is perm with health screening provided. In terms of benefits we offer a production bonus monthly based on achieveing KPI which is on output, scrap, concerns and on time deliveries. We also offer a company wide PRP which pays out a percentage of the profits each quarter (all staff get this). Our shift hours are 6 to 2 and 2 to 10 perm nights are 10 to 6.
    we find that the shift variety is not so much down to what time of day but more who is on the shift and the capabilities of the shift leader. Undoubedtly the one that operates when the majority of others are in the place - so the a.m. shift is seen as the driving shift but you need a good team leader on both to get the work out the door. For this reason our team leaders are exceptionally well paid as it is not only the skill of the engineering but a steady head and good management skills required. We give 25 days holiday and if you are hourly paid 5 of these are what we call emergency days if required or you can have as pay by agreement.
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 22-07-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Simon Pollard - we do alternate shifts and we used to do a shift premium of 25% for double days and 50% for nights but we amalgamated the percentage for double days into the hourly amount so now only night shift get 20% uplift. The two day shifts rotate and nights is perm with health screening provided. In terms of benefits we offer a production bonus monthly based on achieveing KPI which is on output, scrap, concerns and on time deliveries. We also offer a company wide PRP which pays out a percentage of the profits each quarter (all staff get this). Our shift hours are 6 to 2 and 2 to 10 perm nights are 10 to 6.
    we find that the shift variety is not so much down to what time of day but more who is on the shift and the capabilities of the shift leader. Undoubedtly the one that operates when the majority of others are in the place - so the a.m. shift is seen as the driving shift but you need a good team leader on both to get the work out the door. For this reason our team leaders are exceptionally well paid as it is not only the skill of the engineering but a steady head and good management skills required. We give 25 days holiday and if you are hourly paid 5 of these are what we call emergency days if required or you can have as pay by agreement.

• Hi @Jane High,

Thank you for the information, really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
    Simon.

Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 24-07-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Jane High,

Thank you for the information, really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
    Simon.

• Hi @Emma Jewell,

Thank you for the information.

Best Regards,
    Simon.

Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 24-07-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Emma Jewell,

Thank you for the information.

Best Regards,