Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

• Factory lighting

We are looking to replace our factory lighting with energy efficient lighting both to save energy and improve the work environment.

We have been quoted for the lighting but the focus seems to be on energy saving rather than what type of fittings are most suitable for are applications which include warehousing, production areas and a tool room. We would welcome advice on what has worked for you, type of fitting, what height etc. The computer models do not seem to address how the lighting will work in situ other than providing a lux level, e.g. there is not information on shadows.
  • We are looking to replace our factory lighting with energy efficient lighting both to save energy and improve the work environment.

We have been quoted for the lighting but the focus seems to be on energy saving rather than what type of fittings are most suitable for are applications which include warehousing, production areas and a tool room. We would welcome advice on what has worked for you, type of fitting, what height etc. The computer models do not seem to address how the lighting will work in situ other than providing a lux level, e.g. there is not information on shadows.

• Hi @Jane High

Many thanks for posting. I will make other members aware of your question.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here
  • Hi @Jane High

Many thanks for posting. I will make other members aware of your question.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here

• Hi @Jane High

There are environmental aspects to consider as well. We have gone for LED soft white panels in the offices after a user test and LED tubes also soft white in the factory and warehouse. They can be disconcerting to look at as they are quite bright but it’s the nearest thing to even day light I have come acrossand, you learn not to look direct at them. The light is so good I don’t notice if its sunshine or a grey day.

Buy the best you can afford as there is some junk out there. Once they are up they seem very reliable and there is a big difference on the monthly bill. If you amortise the cost of the units and installation you get payback over the lifetime of the product. You save on fluorescent tubes, starters and haz waste.

BR Malcolm Perry
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 27-08-2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Jane High

There are environmental aspects to consider as well. We have gone for LED soft white panels in the offices after a user test and LED tubes also soft white in the factory and warehouse. They can be disconcerting to look at as they are quite bright but it’s the nearest thing to even day light I have come acrossand, you learn not to look direct at them. The light is so good I don’t notice if its sunshine or a grey day.

Buy the best you can afford as there is some junk out there. Once they are up they seem very reliable and there is a big difference on the monthly bill. If you amortise the cost of the units and installation you get payback over the lifetime of the product. You save on fluorescent tubes, starters and haz waste.

BR Malcolm Perry

• Hi Jane,

We did a large exercise in our factory last year and made not only good savings, but massive improvements to the quality of the internal light.

If you would like, please speak to the project leader of this, John Gough and he'll be more than happy to advise.

Tim Morris
    ABT Loadmac
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 27-08-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Removing personal info
  • Hi Jane,

We did a large exercise in our factory last year and made not only good savings, but massive improvements to the quality of the internal light.

If you would like, please speak to the project leader of this, John Gough and he'll be more than happy to advise.

Tim Morris
    ABT Loadmac

• Many thanks, I have given this information to our project co-ordinator
  • Many thanks, I have given this information to our project co-ordinator

• Hi @Jane High - two things. I am working with a lighting company in Leamington Spa at the moment called Light Dimensions. Also you might want to take a look at the Low Carbon Project at Aston University. I'm not sure where you are based, but I have a contact there John Kyffen-Hughes who is worth having a conversation with if you are outside the catchment for the programme. Send me a PM on the Community. Happy to give you full contact details for both organisations.

Kind regards
    Denise
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 27-08-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Removing personal info
  • Hi @Jane High - two things. I am working with a lighting company in Leamington Spa at the moment called Light Dimensions. Also you might want to take a look at the Low Carbon Project at Aston University. I'm not sure where you are based, but I have a contact there John Kyffen-Hughes who is worth having a conversation with if you are outside the catchment for the programme. Send me a PM on the Community. Happy to give you full contact details for both organisations.

Kind regards
    Denise

• many thanks for this, I have forwarded this information on to our project co-ordinatory - thanks for the quick response much appreciated
  • many thanks for this, I have forwarded this information on to our project co-ordinatory - thanks for the quick response much appreciated

• Hi @Jane High

We went with direct replacements for our lighting. We had several HighBay lighting and replaced them with the LED version of the same to ease installation. We had out maintenance manager replace them himself to save on costs as they were mainly plug and play but there was a little bit of rewiring that was required.
    We got the lighting company to view the factory and give us a lighting schema to show the lux levels around the building depending on which wattage LED light we preferred.
    We decided to mix the wattage and have lower watt lighting above our mezzanine floors and higher watt lights around the factory.
    We also asked for a lux sensor to be fitted to every other light so that they could dim if the sun came out and brighten up when the clouds come over. However, they ended up sending us motion sensors and refused to exchange them (which led to a long drawn out argument that wasted nearly a year before we got it sorted). So ensure you check the quote thoroughly as it may be different to what you request.
    Another thing to consider is also the heating. Traditional lights give off a lot of heat which really helps in winter so we have noticed that our heating bills have increased in winter to compensate.
    We did receive a saving in our electricity costs of £5k per year and an increase in gas of £1k per year so it does work out as a good investment but we didn't see the benefits that the lighting companies were originally quoting.
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 05-09-2019 at 09:27 AM.
  • Hi @Jane High

We went with direct replacements for our lighting. We had several HighBay lighting and replaced them with the LED version of the same to ease installation. We had out maintenance manager replace them himself to save on costs as they were mainly plug and play but there was a little bit of rewiring that was required.
    We got the lighting company to view the factory and give us a lighting schema to show the lux levels around the building depending on which wattage LED light we preferred.
    We decided to mix the wattage and have lower watt lighting above our mezzanine floors and higher watt lights around the factory.
    We also asked for a lux sensor to be fitted to every other light so that they could dim if the sun came out and brighten up when the clouds come over. However, they ended up sending us motion sensors and refused to exchange them (which led to a long drawn out argument that wasted nearly a year before we got it sorted). So ensure you check the quote thoroughly as it may be different to what you request.
    Another thing to consider is also the heating. Traditional lights give off a lot of heat which really helps in winter so we have noticed that our heating bills have increased in winter to compensate.
    We did receive a saving in our electricity costs of £5k per year and an increase in gas of £1k per year so it does work out as a good investment but we didn't see the benefits that the lighting companies were originally quoting.

• Hi Jane,

I'd suggest you lookup DATmoLUX. They are a czech based company that offer turnkey solution for similar challenges. I saw their demo once when i was in czech. The solution seems promising.

Regards
    Sumit
  • Hi Jane,

I'd suggest you lookup DATmoLUX. They are a czech based company that offer turnkey solution for similar challenges. I saw their demo once when i was in czech. The solution seems promising.

Regards
    Sumit