• Company Cars - Going Green...helpful advice, experiences, policy guidance, cost balance?

Hi, I have a fleet of 17 company cars for mixed business & private use all of which are presently traditional IC engined vehicles with bias towards diesel at present. We lease all of our vehicles on a 3 year basis and would really like to embrace & encourage a move towards greener vehicles with alternative fuels or hybrid power.

Looking at plug in hybrids being the most likely alternative due to highish business mileage I’ve done some simple first pass analysis of...

Lease costs (very similar IC Vs alternative although P11D/OTR costs are higher)
    Benefits of reduced fuel use (some benefit but bias towards the personal use)
    BIK taxation (appears to only benefit the driver/user)
    & also explored cost for both work & home chargers to keep the fleet operable (£10k for a work based dual point smart charger, £1.5k for a decent home charge system)

Initial overview suggest a fairly substantial initial outlay for the business with marginal fuel savings & some tempting personal benefits for the driver in both fuel and tax savings especially for commuting conditions (under current tax regimes)

All this taken into consideration I’m struggling to make a reasonable business case financially and am also struggling to find any guidance for developing company car policy (higher P11D, charging costs, home charging reimbursement etc.) that may help add clarity for a longer term re-orientation.

Has anyone attempted or successfully embraced "alternative power" and can help with real life examples/challenges/pitfalls to avoid etc.?

Many Thanks

Mike
  • Hi, I have a fleet of 17 company cars for mixed business & private use all of which are presently traditional IC engined vehicles with bias towards diesel at present. We lease all of our vehicles on a 3 year basis and would really like to embrace & encourage a move towards greener vehicles with alternative fuels or hybrid power.

Looking at plug in hybrids being the most likely alternative due to highish business mileage I’ve done some simple first pass analysis of...

Lease costs (very similar IC Vs alternative although P11D/OTR costs are higher)
    Benefits of reduced fuel use (some benefit but bias towards the personal use)
    BIK taxation (appears to only benefit the driver/user)
    & also explored cost for both work & home chargers to keep the fleet operable (£10k for a work based dual point smart charger, £1.5k for a decent home charge system)

Initial overview suggest a fairly substantial initial outlay for the business with marginal fuel savings & some tempting personal benefits for the driver in both fuel and tax savings especially for commuting conditions (under current tax regimes)

All this taken into consideration I’m struggling to make a reasonable business case financially and am also struggling to find any guidance for developing company car policy (higher P11D, charging costs, home charging reimbursement etc.) that may help add clarity for a longer term re-orientation.

Has anyone attempted or successfully embraced "alternative power" and can help with real life examples/challenges/pitfalls to avoid etc.?

Many Thanks

Mike