• What are your experiences with online learning?

I have had great experiences with online learning through courses delivered via Coursera, Khan Academy, Udemy etc.

What are your general views on these short courses and do you feel they have any 'weight' compared to more formal methods of instruction ?

How do you feel the future of the courses will impact the engineering profession as formal education becomes more expensive ?
    Last edited by Amy Brunsdon; 30-08-2017 at 08:19 AM.
  • I have had great experiences with online learning through courses delivered via Coursera, Khan Academy, Udemy etc.

What are your general views on these short courses and do you feel they have any 'weight' compared to more formal methods of instruction ?

How do you feel the future of the courses will impact the engineering profession as formal education becomes more expensive ?
  • Hi @Garry Clawson great discussion starter! I'll outreach to our EEF trainers to gauge their opinions.

Amy
  • Hi @Garry Clawson great discussion starter! I'll outreach to our EEF trainers to gauge their opinions.

Amy
  • Hi @Garry Clawson

good question!

like all approaches to safety it comes down to what are you trying to achieve, to determine which approach and resource package is best for you and the business

On line training is very good at training basic compliance information DSE, Manual Handling, Fire Awareness etc where it sometimes get used inappropriately is when the task requires more weight and depth to the training
    An example would be giving OLT to furniture delivery teams that move large heavy bulky items on a frequent basis.
    Here the correct approach is Group training with supervisor 1-2-1 competency checks with coaching built in.

On line training is very effective when you have a off site team that are difficult to reach using face to face training and OLT can bridge this gap successfully.

The most powerful package is when it is Bespoke and uses practical examples from the workplace and for this reason more companies are turning to using I Phones and media avenues such as You Tube channels or Intranets to deliver the in house training.

I believe this will become more and more prevalent as social media moves more into the workplace as a tool.

I'm interested to see what others say
    Last edited by Amy Brunsdon; 31-08-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Tagging member
  • Hi @Garry Clawson

good question!

like all approaches to safety it comes down to what are you trying to achieve, to determine which approach and resource package is best for you and the business

On line training is very good at training basic compliance information DSE, Manual Handling, Fire Awareness etc where it sometimes get used inappropriately is when the task requires more weight and depth to the training
    An example would be giving OLT to furniture delivery teams that move large heavy bulky items on a frequent basis.
    Here the correct approach is Group training with supervisor 1-2-1 competency checks with coaching built in.

On line training is very effective when you have a off site team that are difficult to reach using face to face training and OLT can bridge this gap successfully.

The most powerful package is when it is Bespoke and uses practical examples from the workplace and for this reason more companies are turning to using I Phones and media avenues such as You Tube channels or Intranets to deliver the in house training.

I believe this will become more and more prevalent as social media moves more into the workplace as a tool.

I'm interested to see what others say
  • Hi @Garry Clawson

Ian's comments follow through to the Performance and Productivity world. However, I am spending a larger amount of my time assisting companies to apply the theory to their particular circumstances which ensures the desired benefits are achieved quickly.

Kindest regards
    Paul
    Garry Clawson
    Last edited by Amy Brunsdon; 31-08-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Tagging member
  • Hi @Garry Clawson

Ian's comments follow through to the Performance and Productivity world. However, I am spending a larger amount of my time assisting companies to apply the theory to their particular circumstances which ensures the desired benefits are achieved quickly.

Kindest regards
    Paul
    Garry Clawson
  • Thanks both for responses.

My question was more geared towards online training as a substitution for undergraduate degree studies or in-situ training in a formal setting.

Areas such as programming have extensive online resources and many placements require active github profiles and so on to show not only competence but an applied and working knowledge (as well as other things). This competence can be built up in many ways outside of a formal computer science accreditation (as an example).

Could you see the same happening within the manufacturing or mechanical engineering domain ?
  • Thanks both for responses.

My question was more geared towards online training as a substitution for undergraduate degree studies or in-situ training in a formal setting.

Areas such as programming have extensive online resources and many placements require active github profiles and so on to show not only competence but an applied and working knowledge (as well as other things). This competence can be built up in many ways outside of a formal computer science accreditation (as an example).

Could you see the same happening within the manufacturing or mechanical engineering domain ?