• How best to connect autonomous vehicles?

The Financial Times published an interesting article yesterday on the current debate over the type of technologies being developed to connect autonomous vehicles.

The competing systems in development are the Vehicle to Vehicle or V2V and a long-range cellular system. The V2V is a short range system - connecting cars via a band of spectrum or radio frequencies. In contrast the cellular system would allow cars to connect through a telecoms network.

Some carmakers favour a 'neutral' position that would allow both technologies to be developed together. The EU is to announce its preferred system next year. The cellular system requires the development and roll out of 5G in around 2020 (5th Generation mobile network) whereas the V2V system could be developed faster.

Proponents of both systems highlight the respective advantages each can bring to the development of autonomous vehicles but a number of carmakers believe a neutral position where both systems are developed in parallel is the best way forward.
    What are your thoughts on these technologies? Which would appear the best system for the future development of connecting autonomous vehicles?

For more see 'Telecoms versus carmakers in race to get connected', Financial Times, 13 November 2017.
    Head of Community
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here
  • The Financial Times published an interesting article yesterday on the current debate over the type of technologies being developed to connect autonomous vehicles.

The competing systems in development are the Vehicle to Vehicle or V2V and a long-range cellular system. The V2V is a short range system - connecting cars via a band of spectrum or radio frequencies. In contrast the cellular system would allow cars to connect through a telecoms network.

Some carmakers favour a 'neutral' position that would allow both technologies to be developed together. The EU is to announce its preferred system next year. The cellular system requires the development and roll out of 5G in around 2020 (5th Generation mobile network) whereas the V2V system could be developed faster.

Proponents of both systems highlight the respective advantages each can bring to the development of autonomous vehicles but a number of carmakers believe a neutral position where both systems are developed in parallel is the best way forward.
    What are your thoughts on these technologies? Which would appear the best system for the future development of connecting autonomous vehicles?

For more see 'Telecoms versus carmakers in race to get connected', Financial Times, 13 November 2017.
    Head of Community
  • Good question @Daniel Kirmatzis.

I don't know much about this but my view is that as long as we don't kill the neutrality as being proposed here for the internet.

I think any system has to be be free to use from an owners perspective otherwise we will end up with a situation similar to what is being faced now with the internet (and will only spread wider).

If this is 5G or otherwise we should all be able to connect to this without having to pass through a central ISP or other type of provider and for it to be free to receive and transmit information.

How much do you think a data plan for your car will be in if you are continually sending data to everyone around you using today's pricing models ? What happens when you exceed this, are you only permitted in the slow lanes or is your car restricted ?

Thought provoking question.
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 28-11-2017 at 03:19 PM.
  • Good question @Daniel Kirmatzis.

I don't know much about this but my view is that as long as we don't kill the neutrality as being proposed here for the internet.

I think any system has to be be free to use from an owners perspective otherwise we will end up with a situation similar to what is being faced now with the internet (and will only spread wider).

If this is 5G or otherwise we should all be able to connect to this without having to pass through a central ISP or other type of provider and for it to be free to receive and transmit information.

How much do you think a data plan for your car will be in if you are continually sending data to everyone around you using today's pricing models ? What happens when you exceed this, are you only permitted in the slow lanes or is your car restricted ?

Thought provoking question.
  • Hi @Garry Clawson ,

yes thought provoking indeed and lots of interesting information available about the pitfalls and potential of this tecnology for manufacturers.

For this to work in the UK the SMMT (The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders) has identified 4 key challenges affecting the effective deployability of connected vehicles in the UK - coverage, reliability,
    bandwidth and capacity.

The SMMT wrote a postion paper last year which you can access here

One key area for manufacturers to identify is how they can leverage the data being generated from autonomous vehicles to provide new products. A paper from McKinsey and Company in September 2016 'Monetizing car data' makes for intersting reading. Manufacturers should start thinking about the types of job roles their companies will need if they are to stay ahead of the tech firms. Getting employees with the right digital skills will be essential for OEMs for example who could be at the forefront of providing new products for autonomous vehicles. The future is now as the saying goes.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
  • Hi @Garry Clawson ,

yes thought provoking indeed and lots of interesting information available about the pitfalls and potential of this tecnology for manufacturers.

For this to work in the UK the SMMT (The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders) has identified 4 key challenges affecting the effective deployability of connected vehicles in the UK - coverage, reliability,
    bandwidth and capacity.

The SMMT wrote a postion paper last year which you can access here

One key area for manufacturers to identify is how they can leverage the data being generated from autonomous vehicles to provide new products. A paper from McKinsey and Company in September 2016 'Monetizing car data' makes for intersting reading. Manufacturers should start thinking about the types of job roles their companies will need if they are to stay ahead of the tech firms. Getting employees with the right digital skills will be essential for OEMs for example who could be at the forefront of providing new products for autonomous vehicles. The future is now as the saying goes.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Head of Community
  • Hi @Daniel Kirmatzis.

Thanks for the links.

My take on it is that it is not the car manufactures data to sell. It is the car owners and they should then feel able to release this as an when they choose (is information created by a CNC machine such as speeds, feeds, running time owned by the CNC maker or the business owner ?).

I can see this type of monetisation taking place across a whole host of products. It has been taking place for many years with mobile phones so will extend to these items.

We need to be aware of our own data practices, how information is treated and how we secure our personal information and share this. Information is going to be the biggest business in the future.

Thanks again for the links.
    Last edited by Garry Clawson; 29-11-2017 at 12:23 PM.
  • Hi @Daniel Kirmatzis.

Thanks for the links.

My take on it is that it is not the car manufactures data to sell. It is the car owners and they should then feel able to release this as an when they choose (is information created by a CNC machine such as speeds, feeds, running time owned by the CNC maker or the business owner ?).

I can see this type of monetisation taking place across a whole host of products. It has been taking place for many years with mobile phones so will extend to these items.

We need to be aware of our own data practices, how information is treated and how we secure our personal information and share this. Information is going to be the biggest business in the future.

Thanks again for the links.