• Recruitment - skills shortage - help!

Hi All,

Was just after some advice on recruitment. I work for an engineering company who manufacture coils and repair and maintain motors. We have a huge skills shortage gap and as a growing business find it difficult to recruit the likes of fitters/winders/skilled candidates.

Has anyone encountered this problem or could point me in the right direction of agencies/websites/organisations? Totaljobs isn't working out as the pool of candidates is not what we're after.. any advice/guidance would be much appreciated

Thanks,
    Husna
  • Hi All,

Was just after some advice on recruitment. I work for an engineering company who manufacture coils and repair and maintain motors. We have a huge skills shortage gap and as a growing business find it difficult to recruit the likes of fitters/winders/skilled candidates.

Has anyone encountered this problem or could point me in the right direction of agencies/websites/organisations? Totaljobs isn't working out as the pool of candidates is not what we're after.. any advice/guidance would be much appreciated

Thanks,
    Husna

• Hi @Husna Begum

Thank you for posting your question. I am sure others will be able to offer valuable advice on this important subject. We'll make sure others are aware of your question.

Best regards,

Daniel.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Community Manager
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the Community here
  • Hi @Husna Begum

Thank you for posting your question. I am sure others will be able to offer valuable advice on this important subject. We'll make sure others are aware of your question.

Best regards,

Daniel.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Community Manager

• Hi @David Woakes, @Jason Cole and @Scott Williams

Would you be able to offer Husna some advice please? Houghton are an EEF Member company.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Community Manager
  • Hi @David Woakes, @Jason Cole and @Scott Williams

Would you be able to offer Husna some advice please? Houghton are an EEF Member company.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Daniel.
    Community Manager

• Hi @Husna Begum

Jonathan Lee recruitment should be able to help you. We have been in contact with them and they will be in touch shortly.

Kind regards,

Daniel.
    Community Manager
  • Hi @Husna Begum

Jonathan Lee recruitment should be able to help you. We have been in contact with them and they will be in touch shortly.

Kind regards,

Daniel.
    Community Manager

• Hi @Husna Begum - this is an industry challenge for various skills in all sizes of companies.

Another approach may be to either up skill existing/ new lower skilled staff or to attempt to reduce the skill required to complete the activity/ process.

Without knowing what you do or how you do it, this could be done through a range of activities such as engaging your supply chain to see if areas could be outsourced, improving jigs or kitting media or perhaps revisiting SOPs etc. If you would like to review your manufacturing/ MRO cells then we would be happy to advise and see if there are any quick wins to reduce the skill level or reduce processing time ....both of which may result in you not needing the additional staff.... food for thought? BR Luke https://acres.engineering
  • Hi @Husna Begum - this is an industry challenge for various skills in all sizes of companies.

Another approach may be to either up skill existing/ new lower skilled staff or to attempt to reduce the skill required to complete the activity/ process.

Without knowing what you do or how you do it, this could be done through a range of activities such as engaging your supply chain to see if areas could be outsourced, improving jigs or kitting media or perhaps revisiting SOPs etc. If you would like to review your manufacturing/ MRO cells then we would be happy to advise and see if there are any quick wins to reduce the skill level or reduce processing time ....both of which may result in you not needing the additional staff.... food for thought? BR Luke https://acres.engineering

• Hi @Husna Begum,

not sure if this will help, however sadly towards the end of last year, Cummins Generator Technologies in Stamford, Lincs. announced the closure of their manufacturing facility there. They make alternators so plenty of related skills will be lost. I think the plans are for closure towards the end of this year - perhaps contact the company or union directly.

Best regards
    Noz
  • Hi @Husna Begum,

not sure if this will help, however sadly towards the end of last year, Cummins Generator Technologies in Stamford, Lincs. announced the closure of their manufacturing facility there. They make alternators so plenty of related skills will be lost. I think the plans are for closure towards the end of this year - perhaps contact the company or union directly.

Best regards
    Noz

• Hi Daniel,

Thank you for that. I haven't had contact from them yet but will be in touch.

Thanks,

Husna
  • Hi Daniel,

Thank you for that. I haven't had contact from them yet but will be in touch.

Thanks,

Husna

• Hi @Luke Parker ,

Thank you for your advice which has been really insightful. Unfortunately, upskilling staff is a lengthy process due to the skills required for the service we are but we are currently doing this for longer term growth

Thank you for your response.

Kind regards,
    Husna
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 23-03-2018 at 01:19 PM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Luke Parker ,

Thank you for your advice which has been really insightful. Unfortunately, upskilling staff is a lengthy process due to the skills required for the service we are but we are currently doing this for longer term growth

Thank you for your response.

Kind regards,
    Husna

• Hi @Noz Talukdar ,

Thank you for that. Something to consider

Kind regards,

Husna
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 23-03-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Noz Talukdar ,

Thank you for that. Something to consider

Kind regards,

Husna

• Hi @Husna Begum, I gather the closure is now targeted for the end of June so if still a possibility, it is getting closer than the end of the year. Best regards. Noz

Sent from my iPhone using EEF Network
  • Hi @Husna Begum, I gather the closure is now targeted for the end of June so if still a possibility, it is getting closer than the end of the year. Best regards. Noz

Sent from my iPhone using EEF Network