• Debate: Are apprenticeships not for the brightest pupils?

Hello Everyone,

I know that many of you are extremely passionate about encouraging the next generation into the manufacturing industry and one of the most popular routes for doing this is through offering apprenticeships. I’ve heard from many of you that you struggle to find the young people with the right qualifications for these roles or even find young people that are interested.

So I wanted to share this report I found published by the Sutton Trust, read more here. It highlights how two-thirds of secondary school teachers would not recommend apprenticeships to pupils with good grades. This highlights to me that perhaps apprenticeships are still not seen as equal to university in terms of the opportunities they provide by teachers and those giving career advice.

However the same report found 64 per cent of 11- to 16-year-olds would prefer to undertake an apprenticeship rather than go to university if the option was available in their desired career. This shows that young people are keen to undertake apprenticeships but perhaps are not always aware or educated of the opportunities available to them.

But it’s not all doom and gloom as the report also highlights how the proportion of students saying they had discussed apprenticeships with their teacher is improving, up from 31 per cent in 2014 to 41 per cent this year.

So perhaps things are starting to change slowly? But with University fees continuing to rise are things changing fast enough.
    So I wanted to hear your thoughts on the topic? Please share your thoughts with the community below. Here are some statements to get you thinking!

• From your experiences, do you feel that young people are given enough information about apprenticeships and their benefits?
    • Or do you feel that University is still seen as the preferred path for students by schools and colleges?
    • What are you doing to engage with local schools and colleges to promote apprenticeships?

Thanks

Amy
  • Hello Everyone,

I know that many of you are extremely passionate about encouraging the next generation into the manufacturing industry and one of the most popular routes for doing this is through offering apprenticeships. I’ve heard from many of you that you struggle to find the young people with the right qualifications for these roles or even find young people that are interested.

So I wanted to share this report I found published by the Sutton Trust, read more here. It highlights how two-thirds of secondary school teachers would not recommend apprenticeships to pupils with good grades. This highlights to me that perhaps apprenticeships are still not seen as equal to university in terms of the opportunities they provide by teachers and those giving career advice.

However the same report found 64 per cent of 11- to 16-year-olds would prefer to undertake an apprenticeship rather than go to university if the option was available in their desired career. This shows that young people are keen to undertake apprenticeships but perhaps are not always aware or educated of the opportunities available to them.

But it’s not all doom and gloom as the report also highlights how the proportion of students saying they had discussed apprenticeships with their teacher is improving, up from 31 per cent in 2014 to 41 per cent this year.

So perhaps things are starting to change slowly? But with University fees continuing to rise are things changing fast enough.
    So I wanted to hear your thoughts on the topic? Please share your thoughts with the community below. Here are some statements to get you thinking!

• From your experiences, do you feel that young people are given enough information about apprenticeships and their benefits?
    • Or do you feel that University is still seen as the preferred path for students by schools and colleges?
    • What are you doing to engage with local schools and colleges to promote apprenticeships?

Thanks

Amy
  • I'm pleased to see that this is changing and schools are having to talk about a wider range of career choices. I've even been to grammar schools that were only recommending the university route a short time ago but are now talking about apprenticeships and even now allowing us to go in a talk to their pupils. Given, the apprenticeships they mention are only in a few areas like engineering, politics, medical, law and accountancy but it's encouraging that even they are slowly coming around and engineering is included in the mix.
  • I'm pleased to see that this is changing and schools are having to talk about a wider range of career choices. I've even been to grammar schools that were only recommending the university route a short time ago but are now talking about apprenticeships and even now allowing us to go in a talk to their pupils. Given, the apprenticeships they mention are only in a few areas like engineering, politics, medical, law and accountancy but it's encouraging that even they are slowly coming around and engineering is included in the mix.
  • Thanks @Angela Ward it's great to see that you've started to see a difference in the way that apprenticeships are promoted in schools. When I was at school the only real option put forward to us as school leavers was to go to university. But agree with you there needs to more done to promote the wide range of opportunities available.

Amy
  • Thanks @Angela Ward it's great to see that you've started to see a difference in the way that apprenticeships are promoted in schools. When I was at school the only real option put forward to us as school leavers was to go to university. But agree with you there needs to more done to promote the wide range of opportunities available.

Amy